If you have a chipped or broken tooth, you can restore its shape, size and strength by installing an artificial crown. A dental crown that is cemented properly can encase the entire broken area and restore its original appearance. There are several things you should know before you can install Crowns in Keizer OR. These factors include:
Whether your situations requires dental crowns
Your dentist may recommend dental crowns for any of the following situations:
- To cover severely discolored teeth
- To provide a covering for dental implants
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking
- To hold together cracked parts of a tooth
- To support and cover a tooth that has a large filling especially when there are no teeth on its sides.
These are just some of the situations that may need installation of crowns. However, you should consult your dentist first to determine the viability of installing dental Crowns in Keizer OR.
The type of crown to use
There are several types of crowns that your dentist may recommend depending on the condition of your teeth and your preference. Some of the common types of dental crowns include:
- Stainless steel crowns: this type is temporarily applied on permanent teeth to protect a tooth or loose filling. Other types of metals used to make permanent crowns include gold alloy, palladium, nickel and chromium among others. Metal crowns are preferred for their resistance to hard bites and chewing forces and last longer than other types of crowns.
- Ceramic or dental crowns: this type matches easily with the color of your teeth as they are available in a variety of colors. They are a good choice for front teeth and are recommended for people who have metal allergies. However, they are not very strong and wear out quickly compared to metal crowns.
- Permanent versus temporary crowns: permanent Crowns in Keizer OR can only be made in the laboratory, and you have to book them with your dentist. On the other hand, temporary crowns can be made in your dentist’s office using acrylic or stainless steel. They can be used as a temporary restoration while you wait for a permanent one from the laboratory.
These are some of the things you should know about Crowns in Keizer OR. You should ensure that you get an estimate from your dentist before starting the installation procedure. Visit http://www.salemriverfrontdental.com to get a competent dentist.